Roxbury Township Departments
Manager's Office: The Township of Roxbury is organized under the Council-Manager form of government. The Township Manager serves as the Chief Executive Officer and is responsible for the day-to-day activities of the departments. Council establishes policy and direction for the Township Manager and departments.
Clerk's Office: The Clerk's Office is responsible for
- Assessment searches
- Communications for the mayor and Township Council
- Maintain and direct to appropriate legal counsel insurance claims, civil actions and notice of tort claims
- Maintaining Township Council meeting minutes
- Maintaining Township records (ordinances, resolutions, contracts, performance bonds)
- Open Public Records Act requests and responses
- Raffle and bingo licenses - To be eligible, the organization holding the raffle or bingo, must first be registered with the State Legalized Games of Chance Control Commission (upon receiving this registration, raffle applications may be picked up at the Clerk's Office; we must receive your application at least six weeks before the raffle date)
- Special Permit for Social Affairs (One Day Liquor License) - These should be submitted at least one month before the affair
Construction Department: The Uniform Construction Code (UCC) combines administrative regulations and technical standards adopted by the State of New Jersey for construction. The Construction Department of the Township has been established in 1976, to provide all the services mandated under the state UCC.
The primary responsibility of the Construction Department is to maintain the state mandated system for processing permits, performing inspections, to track and pursue code violations and unsafe structures. The permit process begins with plan review. This is to insure compliance with applicable codes and standards. Upon final inspections and approvals, the permit process ends when the project or installation is certified for occupancy and/or use. The ultimate goal is to make all buildings and structures erected in the municipality safe for the intended occupancy and use.
Engineering Department: Duties and responsibilities of the Engineering Department include the following:
- Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) improvements
- Assist Township residents and prospective residents – At window or by telephone regarding:
- Drainage questions / complaints
- Infrastructure improvements
- Utility availability
- Compile and evaluate water system usage and pumping data
- Engineering, planning, design and permitting of roadway, drainage, storm water quality, sanitary sewer and water main improvement projects
- and much, much more.
Finance: The Finance Department is responsible for all financial transactions within the Township. These transactions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Accounts payable / payment of bills
- Cash receipts
- Investment activity
- Debt service (bonds, notes, loans, etc.)
- Grant activity
- Payroll (including benefits, personnel, pension and payroll taxes)
- Vehicle title records
- Fixed asset records
- Various insurance records including surety bonds, property, liability, causality, etc.
- Township auction (typically done on a yearly basis)
- Developer’s escrow activity
- The Finance Department does not charge fees for services other than standard copy charges for items that may be requested by the public.
Fire Prevention: Any fire inspection request in connection with a valid construction permit or prior to an issuance of a Certificate of Occupancy is the responsibility of the Fire Sub Code Official working within the Construction/Building Department. A Fire Official or Fire Inspector is on call 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and 365 days per year.
The Fire Prevention Bureau is responsible for fire safety throughout the Township of Roxbury. The main goal is to prevent fires and minimize the risk of loss of life and property through education and fire code enforcement. More on the Fire Prevention web page.
Health Department: Access information regarding health clinics, department divisions and useful tips to keep you and your family healthy.
Municipal Court: Roxbury Township Municipal Court is in session on Thursdays at 9:30 am and 1:30 pm. The public is invited to attend. See the court web page for more information, including how to pay tickets online.
Planning & Zoning: The Planning and Zoning Department is responsible for administering and enforcing the Township's Zoning, Subdivision, and Site Plan Ordinances. It also assists the Planning Board and Zoning Board. The department is involved in long-term planning of the community through Master Plan amendments and Land Development Ordinance revisions. The staff is available to answer any questions and provide assistance to residents who wish to appear before either board or apply for a zoning permit. The department is staffed with a full time zoning officer who reviews all zoning permit applications to ensure compliance with the zoning ordinance.
Police Department: Mission Statement of the Roxbury Police Department -
Our mission is for every member of this department to consistently pursue ways to enhance the quality of life in Roxbury Township. We are dedicated to a making a positive difference in our community and are dedicated to providing a safe environment to live, work and learn.
We will accomplish this mission by providing a safe community for our citizens with a focus on community policing. Our members will always strive to ensure we are positive role models in the community by maintaining our own ethical values. We will treat all citizens respectfully and will not pass judgment. We shall strive to promote compassion in our department and our community.
Public Works: The Division of Public Works consists of multiple operating departments including Roads, Equipment and Repair and Buildings & Grounds Parks. Public Works is also responsible for operating the Township Recycling Center and Clean Communities program. Additionally, Public Works oversees Trash and Recycling collection which is provided through a contract with Blue Diamond Disposal. The various departments employ a total of 48 employees including supervisors, foremen, drivers, laborers, equipment operators, and mechanics.
Recreation: The Recreation Department at Roxbury Township is proud to offer programs for residents of all ages. Here in Roxbury there are an abundant number of youth sports and activities, a lake complex which provides for summer beach fun, beautiful parks, immaculate athletic fields, playgrounds for the little ones and trails for the adventurous.
Social Services: The Roxbury Social Services provides Roxbury Township residents with necessary services and information based on individual needs and handling emergency situations in our community. We offer aid to the public with information and resource material. This department also serves on the Local Emergency Planning Committee (LEPC) where shelter and food for residents are needed during emergency situations.
- Annual holiday toy distribution for Roxbury's needy children
- Baby items available - Playpens, swings and cribs; also provide baby food, formula, clothing and diapers
- Delivery of food baskets to the home-bound and needy families
- Food pantry - Food available for needy families
- Free bread, rolls, bagels and cake distribution on Wednesdays
- Free clothing distribution - Includes shoes, handbags and toiletry kits
- Free dishes, pots and pans and utensils
- Free furniture and large appliance bulletin board
- SHARE Program - Bags of fresh and frozen meats, fruits and vegetables
- Small appliances - Microwave ovens, hot plates, coffee makers
- Special family wish trees
- Three holiday food basket programs - Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas
Tax Assessor: The main function of the assessor's office is to value all property in the municipality for tax purposes. The ultimate goal is to assess the properties so all property owners will pay their fair share of the revenue needed to finance the schools, municipality and county government. The assessor's responsibilities are governed by state law and monitored by the State Division of Taxation, the County Tax Board, and the County Tax Administrator.
Tax & Utilities Collector: The Tax & Utility Department prepares tax, municipal sewer and municipal water bills and maintains an accounting of all tax, municipal water and sewer collections and enforces the collection of delinquent municipal charges through foreclosure of municipal tax liens and municipal tax sales.